The My Hero series gives readers the opportunity to put their hero in agriculture in the spotlight and thus be able to win a cash prize themselves.
With this series, Grain SA and John Deere are creating an opportunity where everyday people in agriculture can share their unique story about an (agricultural) hero or heroine first hand. So tell us who/what inspired you to get involved in agriculture yourself.
A My Hero winner can be a local producer; perhaps your grandfather or father; a worker on the farm who helped raise you; a teacher, lecturer or perhaps your mother or grandmother who not only handled the household, but also put her shoulder to the wheel to keep the farm’s administration on track. Here is an opportunity to offer the unsung heroes who have ignited a passion for agriculture in you their moment of glory and to give them recognition in a special way.
From January 2023, a winning hero will be chosen by a panel of judges for each of the year’s eleven editions of SA Graan/Grain. The individual who nominated the month’s winning hero gets a cash prize of R2 500 with the compliments of John Deere. In turn, the winning hero (i.e. the nominee) receives an exciting John Deere gift pack as a reward.
- Entries can only take place online at sagrainmag.co.za. All mandatory fields on the entry form must be completed in full to be recognized as an entry.
- A nominator or nominated who is a monthly winner may only enter once per calendar year (December/January to November edition of SA Grain/Grain).
- Entries that are received after the cut-off time per issue of SA Grain/Grain or that are not designated as a monthly winner, may be eligible again in subsequent months.
- Grain SA and John Deere reserve the right to reject entries that do not comply with the competition rules.
- A panel including a representative each from Grain SA, John Deere and SA Graan/Grain will assess the entries monthly. The opinion of the panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into afterwards.
- Approval/consent: Nominator
By entering, the nominator gives permission for a photo of him/herself to be used for publication and for his/her name, surname and town to be identified for this purpose. The nominator is prepared to allow interview/s with himself/herself that may appear via social media or other media. Furthermore, the nominator confirms that the nominee’s personal consent has been obtained to present him/her as a nominee in the My Hero series and that the nominee is able and willing for the media exposure that possibly comes with it.
- Approval/consent: Nominated
By entering, the nominee gives permission for a photograph of him/herself to be used for publication and for his/her name, surname and town to be identified. The nominee is prepared to allow interview/s with himself/herself that will appear via social media or other media. Furthermore, the nominee confirms that he/she gives personal permission for him/her to be introduced as a nominee in the My Hero series and is able and willing for the media exposure that possibly comes with it.
- Nominators and nominees may not be the same person or entity.
- Employees/collaborators of Grain SA or John Deere may not enter the competition.
- John Deere gift packs cannot be exchanged for cash or other products.